Birchbox, my favorite subscription service that I just recently subscribed to again, has a great little blogger network called Birchbloggers. Every month, Birchbloggers are given the opportunity to win the "Birchbox Book Club" book of the month. 

In September, the book was "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty and to my surprise, I won! They shipped me a free copy of the book  to read and review. 



Even before the book club announcement, I heard rave reviews about "Big Little Lies" and was actually going to purchase the book. I'm really glad I didn't!!

The book is a NYT Best Seller and is a very suspenseful, mysterious read. 

I don't want to give away too much so I'll give a quick summary. 

The book goes back and forth between present day and past events that lead up to what the book is basically about--a murder. 

The present day part of the book is always a detective getting statements from minor characters in the book and you're constantly trying to figure out what exactly happened.

"Big Little Lies" is set in Australia, which took me a little while to figure out, and it's centered around three main characters: Celeste, Jane, and Madeline. Their stories are always intertwined but they have their own separate problems. 

Throughout the entire book, you are constantly trying to figure out who murdered who and what events lead up to it. I must say, halfway through the book I knew who would be the dead person but didn't know who did the killing.

There was also a huge plot twist toward the end, right before the murder scene, that I totally did not see coming. It was incredible, I gasped and had to shut the book to collect my thoughts.

I'm never one to go for mystery and suspenseful books because I get too anxious reading them and I like reading books sometimes, that don't take much thought but this was by far one of the best books I ever read.

It was beautifully written, the story was simple but very detailed, and the mystery/suspense was set up perfectly. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I was constantly enthralled by everything going on. I just wanted to get to the end so I knew what was happening, not that I wished it would be over. 

The good thing about this novel was that it wasn't scary. It was dealing with real life situations but didn't scare me, just put a good amount of curiosity in me. I would come home from work and just sit for hours reading the book. I didn't stop, I didn't do anything but read for the entire week and finished in only a few days.

"Big Little Lies" has opened me up to an entire new genre of novels. I stick to chick lit or fantasy books but never really get into mysteries. This was the perfect combination of chick lit and mystery. It kept my attention and I was obsessed.

If you need something new in your life, you're bored and just want to read a good book, please go read "Big Little Lies". It's incredible and you won't regret it!


SHARE 0 comments

Add your comment

COPYRIGHT © Royally Pink · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS